Natural Cosmetics at Joan Morais Naturals
In the cosmetic industry there is no formal definition and no standard of “natural” and “natural cosmetics”. I wrote a blog on defining natural cosmetics and my thoughts on further labeling of cosmetics here. The processing of natural ingredients makes it even more confusing on determining natural cosmetics. More cosmetic ingredients are being produced to meet the natural market demand; derived from plants, sustainable and biodegradable.
Joan Morais Naturals definition of “natural”: Natural cosmetics are made from raw materials sourced from nature, such as plants and minerals and from a renewable natural source. The raw materials go through the least amount of processing and the processing methods cause the least impact to humans, animals and the earth. Natural cosmetics assist to beautify and promote radiant body, skin and hair. Active nutrients known as nutraceuticals are supplements such as vitamins for the skin and are beneficial to the skin are sometimes used. No petroleum ingredients are used.
At Joan Morais Naturals we value sustainable, fair trade raw materials, biodegradable ingredients, nourishing and effective ingredients for the skin and hair, for babies, children, adults and pets and fair trade ingredients. The formulas contain no petrochemicals, no parabens, no formaldehyde, no formaldehyde donor preservatives, no DEA/TEA, no EDTA, no BHT, no silicones, no sodium lauryl sulfate, no sodium laureth sulfate, no ammonium lauryl sulfate, no PEG’s (polyethylene glycols) no PPG’s (polypropylene glycols), no phthalates, no synthetic colors and no synthetic fragrances.
Joan Morais Naturals rates #4 on this scale and some formulas #5 (many of the formulas can be made organic and be #5). To clarify cosmetics and the range from synthetic, natural and organic, I created a scale to demonstrate where Joan Morais Naturals is on the scale. Referring to synthetic as not occurring in nature, engineered and made by humans. I am fine with some synthetics with little processing, biodegradable, skin and hair safe. The scale is from 1-5 with 5 being the most organic products. Joan Morais Naturals rates #4 on this scale and some formulas #5 (many of the formulas can be made organic and be #5).
Rating Cosmetics on a Scale
A way to distinguish natural cosmetics (natural body, hair and skin care products) is on a sliding scale of 1-5 with 5 being the most natural and organic. I put together what a scale could look like sorting through natural and organic cosmetics.
Joan Morais Naturals rates #4 on this scale and some formulas #5.
- Mostly Synthetic Ingredients: Products containing mostly synthetic ingredients like most conventional cosmetics products.
- Few Natural Ingredients: Products containing few ingredients derived from nature including highly processed ingredients, chemically modified ingredients and synthetic ingredients.
- Mostly Natural Ingredients: Products containing ingredients derived mostly from nature including highly processed, minimally processed and chemically modified and minimal or no synthetic ingredients.
- Natural Ingredients: Products containing ingredients derived from nature, mostly biodegradable, sustainable, minimally processed with no suspected health risk and no animal testing. No petrochemicals, no parabens, no formaldehyde, no formaldehyde donor preservatives, no DEA/TEA, no EDTA, no BHT, no propylene glycol, no silicones, no sulfonated surfactants, no sodium laureth sulfate, no PEG’s (polyethylene glycols) no PPG’s (polypropylene glycols), no phthalates, no synthetic colors, no synthetic fragrances.
- Organic Ingredients: Contains 95% organic ingredients minimally processed and the remaining 5% ingredients do not contain ingredients listed on #4.
Some ingredients used in the formulas at Joan Morais Naturals
Here are a few ingredients that are used in the formulas contained in the eBooks and classes. More plant-based ingredients are used than listed.
Rosemary Antioxidant CO2, Vitamin E Oil
Herbs, Flowers, Gem Essences, Flower Essences
Cold Process Soap
Oils/Fats, Water, Sodium Hydroxide (lye)
Emulsifiers and Thickeners
Candelilla Wax, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Cetearyl Olivate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Palmitate, Glyceryl Stearate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Sorbitan Olivate, Sorbitan Palmitate
Barley, Millet, Oats, Quinoa, Rice
Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Hemp Milk, Oat Milk, Soy Milk
Fruit Oils, Nut Oils, Vegetable Oils
Gluconolactone and Sodium Benzoate, Leucidal Liquid, High Proof Alcohol
Absolutes (jasmine, rose, etc)
Natural Food Flavor Oils
Polyglucose and plant-based surfactants
Joan Morais is a natural cosmetic formulator, instructor, author and the owner of Joan Morais Naturals. Joan assists product makers on how to make high quality, stable and effective natural body, hair and skin care products for personal use and a product making business.