The market for natural, green, eco-friendly and “organic” cosmetics has grown in popularity. There are many programs and organizations that can provide organic or other certifications for your cosmetics.
Our previous post, Organic Cosmetic Labeling, went over the advantages and disadvantages of Organic Certification from USDA, NOP. Read more on labeling and certification here.
- One of the globally recognized and respected organic certifications with high standards
- The main objectives is to promote the use of Organic Agriculture plants and create a bond between certain cosmetic products and the respect for the environment
Soil Association (UK)
- Standards for organic beauty products are based on food standards
- If an ingredient is available organically, it must be used
- The remaining ingredients must meet strict criteria to ensure that they are not damaging to the health or the environment
- Uses the, “Certified Natural Cosmetics” seal
- The use of natural and raw material such as: plant oils, waxes, herbal extracts, and essential oils must be grown from controlled biological cultivation or controlled biological wild collection
NaTrue (International, Europe)
- International labeling program
- Industry platform for standards and network of all who are working to carry out the same high ethical and ecological principles
- Ensure that the highest quality of raw materials, essential in producing natural cosmetics, are readily available
- Uses the IOS Cosmetics Standard established by Certech, a privately owned company
- 95% of the ingredients must be of natural origin.
- Packaging must be recyclable
- Products and each ingredient must not have been tested on animals
- Must be free of synthetic ingredients, not contain pesticides, harmful preservatives, artificial colors and fragrances
Australian Certified Organic (Australia)
- The Australian Certified Organic Standard is the rulebook for businesses that are certified organic with Australian Organic’s certifying arm, Australian Certified Organic
- As one of the strictest standards in Australia, the Australian Certified Organic Standard brings together the requirements of national and international relevant standards so consumers have a simple choice when buying organic produce
Joan Morais Naturals Formulation Standards
All formulations taught are 100% vegan, plant-based, mineral-based and cruelty-free. Raw ingredients are natural and organic when available, go through the least amount of processing and cause the least impact to the earth, humans and animals.
At Joan Morais Naturals we value sustainable, fair trade raw materials, biodegradable ingredients, nourishing and effective ingredients for the skin and hair, for babies, children, adults and pets and fair trade ingredients. The formulas contain no petrochemicals, no parabens, no formaldehyde, no formaldehyde donor preservatives, no DEA/TEA, no EDTA, no BHT, no silicones, no sodium lauryl sulfate, no sodium laureth sulfate, no ammonium lauryl sulfate, no PEG’s (polyethylene glycols) no PPG’s (polypropylene glycols), no phthalates, no synthetic colors and no synthetic fragrances.