How To Create Your Own Natural Hair and Skin Care Line
How To Create Your Own Natural Hair and Skin Care Line
Creating your own natural hair care line or natural skin care line can be exhilarating, fun, challenging, rewarding and profitable. If you are interested and passionate about creating hair or skin care products or if you have a platform as a hair stylist, salon owner, esthetician, cosmetologist, trichologist or dermatologist, this may be a perfect fit for you.
There are many ways and paths to start a natural hair care or skin care line. Over the years I have watched my students and clients create their business in many different ways. It has been one of my greatest joys to watch them build their business and be successful in business. Many of them started with me and have been successfully in business for over 10 years.
From my observation there are ways that can take you to success faster. Creating your own line truly is a journey and a process. There is no overnight quick way to success. To have a system in place and focus is key to faster results and success. One way is to focus on only a few products and develop them to be superior products before launching them instead of launching many mediocre products. We can easily be lead astray as there may be many products we want to create and of course we get excited about it and all the ideas we have for products. This can be a slippery slope as the more products quickly developed the more expensive it is and the focus is divided among many products. If we choose only a few products and spend the time needed on these products they can go to market sooner. You will learn a lot from retailing and wholesaling your products and learn from your customers about what they want. You will do things differently and more efficiently for the new products. You can then slowly add new products to your line and your customers we be excited when you introduce new products.
Here are a few helpful questions you should answer when creating a product. These questions will help you focus and have a clear vision for your product.
Research and Product Development
Questions to research and answer before developing the product.
1. Is your product going to be natural or organic?
2. Are you getting the product certified natural or organic by a certifying agency?
If so, what agency?
3. What is the natural or organic market for your product?
4. Who is your customer?
5. How will you sell your product?
In Spas and Stores?
6. What are the cosmetic regulations and guidelines in your city, state, region and country?
1. What are your top 4 products you want to make?
2. Of these four products, which one do you want to develop first?
3. Do you have a prototype of a product you want to use for a model of the product you want to create? The prototype should have a consistency, texture and possibly ingredients you want in your product.
4. What is the retail price of your competition?
5. What ingredients do you want in the product? Can these ingredients be easily sourced?
6. Are there any specialty ingredients you want to work with? If so what? Have you done research on them? Have you found an easy and reliable source for them?
7. What is the container for the product? Find a prototype with a container you like. Research the availability and cost of the container.
8. What type of label will be on this product?
9. What is the cost of the label?
10. Does the label fit properly on the container?
11. Does all the text needed fit on the label fit?
12. Does this product need to be packaged in a box?
13. Will you formulate the product or contract a cosmetic formulator?
14. Are you making the product or a private manufacturer?
15. How much does your product cost per ounce to make?
16. What is your budget for this product?
17. Are there any regulations and guidelines for this particular product?
18. What pre-market tests are required or expected for this product?
19. Do I have a test group of about 20 individuals to sample my product and give feedback?
A Few Business Questions
The business aspect is creating a successful foundation, structure and system for your business. The Small Business Administration, SBA, is a great place to start for information. Here are some questions to do research on and answer:
1. What is the business name?
2. Did I check to make sure there is no trademark on the name? Check here.
3. Am I going to trademark the name? Trademark basic information here.
4. Did I obtain the domain name for the website?
5. Did I obtain the business name on social media; Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest?
6. Do I have product liability insurance?
After being in business for over 10 years I do know you will save money when you learn from others and take classes. You are investing in yourself, your business and it will pay you back from the money you will save from unnecessary mistakes from trial and error doing it all yourself.
Where to Begin
The Professional Natural Hair Care Product Making Course and the Professional Natural Skin Care Making Course have been developed from over 10 years of experience in formulating and making natural products to help pave an easier path for you to create your own natural hair or skin care products. These are excellent courses to take to begin your natural hair and skin care line.
Joan Morais is a natural cosmetic formulator, instructor, author and the owner of Joan Morais Naturals. Joan assists product makers on how to make high quality, stable and effective natural body, hair and skin care products for personal use and a product making business.